maandag 20 augustus 2012

Monday Morning Gamer 20/8


Time to wake up :)
Goodmorning, goodmorning! It has been a while, but on this lovely sunny Monday I thought I´d  do another blog post. Consider these past few months my summer hibernation, and we´ll see if I can post with some regularity on here again!

Anyway, of course there’s a reason for me to start posting again. Not only has my good friend Apophis been hounding me for an update (thanks for that), but also I have made a deal with Balephon.  Both Balephon and myself are going to be participate in the Dutch 40K GT this autumn and we’ve decided to show our road to the tournament on here.

That’s not all for today. There’s also a small thing I’d like to mention as well. A brilliant (in my humble opinion) idea from the brains behind wargaming.nl: single models!,

Let’s get to it, eh?

  

Road to the ’12 GT


 On October 20 & 21 the guys from Saints Tournaments will hold the annual Dutch GT. This year they’ll combine both 40k and Fantasy in one event, which means there’ll be lots of players around. I’ve been going to these events ever since they held the first one in Arnhem (back when the team was called Fanatics) and it’s always lots of fun. I can recommend anyone going and participating, even if you are more of a casual gamer opposed to a competitive one. I don’t like those terms and try to avoid using them whenever I can, but this tournament is just a weekend of fun games vs. fun opponents of all levels. I can say in my ten-odd years of going to these tournaments, I’ve never had a game or an opponent who wasn’t fun to play against.

The rules for the tournament are here. It’s 1750, full 6th tournament (so no comp and we’ll use all the rules in 6th, yes that includes having terrain placed the players each round.)

Now, for those who know me a bit, I don’t usually tend to do to well at tournaments. It’s been pretty bad the last year or so, but even before that, I don’t think I’ve cracked top ten in a big tournament more than once (if that). There’s probably a dozen different reasons why I never do too well, and I won’t bore you with an in-depth psychological analysis, but I think one of the main reasons is that I only ever decide on an army to use with about 2 weeks to go. (Sometimes even less).

I cannot count the number of times I’ve spent the night before the tournament staying up till three in the morning, painting the final models (badly, btw) I needed to complete the new army build I’d decided on using. I’ve switched from vanilla Marines to Chaos Marines, from Dark Angels to Daemons and from Imperial Guard to, well, a completely different type of Guard army.

The result is always the same: I lose the first battle of the tournament as that often is the first real game I play with my army. Basically I start playtesting my army properly during the tournament!

With that first loss under my belt, the rest of the tournament is either a) an uphill struggle to claw my way back up the rankings if the army actually works or b) me playing games trying to avoid playing consecutive games on the bottom table if the army doesn’t work.

And every year after a tournament I make the same vow: next year will be different!

Guess what, this year will be different!

 This year it will be and my mate Balephon going to the tournament, and we have both decided on which army to use already. Balephon will be using Tyranids and I will be taking my Dark Eldar.

 So there it is. We’ve chosen. We can’t switch anymore. Because, you know, now it’s even on the interwebz.

 Now, the reason I’m posting this on here is that we’ll use the blog to track our progress between then and now. I haven’t played more than 2 games with Dark Eldar so need all the game prep I can get. Balephon will have lots (and lots) of converting to do (honestly, the man needs to Orkify everything!) and will probably need a game or three to get a feel for the army as well.

I’ll post updates on here when stuff happens. I’ve got a game (or two?) lined up vs Bra’tac next week, so that will give me some time to assemble my army and get started on the painting.

Balephon has already sent over some pics of his army’s progress so far, and I’ll do a modeling post next week.


Here’s the lists we’ve made:



Flying Ork!
Balephon’s  Tyranorks:


Hive Tyrant, Wings, tl Devourer

Hive Tyrant, Wings, tl Devourer


Doom, Mycetic Spore

5 Ymgarl Stealers


2x7 Genestealers

2x10 Termagaunts

Tervigon


20 Gargoyles

  

Flying Dark Eldar!
My list will be as follows:

Crimson Death


Baron

Haemonculus, stinger pistol


12 Hellions

10 Warriors, blaster, sybarite, Raider, Night Shield, Splinter Racks

9 Warriors, blaster, sybarite, Raider, Night Shield, Splinter Racks

2x5 Wyches, haywire grenades, Venom, Splinter Cannon


5 Scourges, 2 haywire blasters

2x6 Reaver Jetbikes, 2 heat lances, 2 cluster caltrops

Ravager

Razorwing


I’ll do a tactics post later on. For now, I need to get modeling!


Warhammer Singles:


New Logo!
Have you ever needed just that one more model to finish your unit? That 6th terminator to complete your tournament army, those 3 phoenix guard to finish your High Elf army, or that 3rd Mournfang model to finally be done with that Ogre unit? Don’t want to buy a full set of models when all you need is one or two? Well, wargaming.nl has you covered! They now sell single models for pretty much every unit you could want. Heck, even if they don’t have it currently, I’m sure they can help you get the model you need as soon as possible! I’ve already used them to get a couple of more scourges and I need 2 more jetbikes. I think it’s a great idea.

The price is exactly what you’d pay for a full set, divided by the number of models in it. So you’d get a single Gargoyle for 2.50, or one river troll for 12.50.

If you need just a few models to finish your unit/army, this is for you!

Check it out here!

And just so you know, I have absolutely nothing to do with wargaming.nl. Just helping out!


And as a final bit of news: I’ve asked Bra’tac to contribute some articles for this blog as well. We’ve yet to work out the details, but expect to see the occasional article by the man who brought us the rebel grots and tons of other cool conversions!


Well, that’s it for now. Let’s see if I can keep this posting updates a bit more regular, shall we?