donderdag 16 februari 2012

Midweek Modelling 16-2

Hello and welcome to another edition of Midweek Modelling, where I usually show off what I've painted and been up to with the actual hobbying aspect of the hobby. Having had a bit of a busy week I didn't paint as much as I'd like to have done. I painted another 4 tanks red so they'll fit in with my Imperial Guard army, though they are awaiting their final two coats of highlights before they are ready for having flames painted on. I'm also working on Apophis' Prussian battlefleet (congrats on graduating, btw!) and the Space Marine Diorama. All are progressing at various speeds, but nothing worthy of photographing as of yet.

That sounds this'll be a bit of a boring MM post, no? Well, I do have something for you. As I'm sure you've noticed, I am in the process of setting up a Blood in the Badlands campaign. )Lots of fun, can recommend it to everyone.) However, some of the battles, a few of the End of Season special scenarios and fights on certain tiles, require players to play a siege. Sieges sounds like they're a hoot and a half to play, but they require one bit of terrain you wouldn't normally use: a Fortress...
Now, I don't know about you, but I for one do not have a suitable Fortress in my not-inconsubstantial terrain collection. I could obviously buy one from GW, but that one is a bit generic and not to mention somewhat expensive. I could also make one myself, which I have already done once in the past. I used corrugated cardboard, duct tape and a nice wallop of textured paint. Servicable and cheap, not that much to look at. Don't know what happened to it.

Anyway, while I haven't been up to anything like that (though I might in the future) I received a few suggestions yesterday that I'd do a post on making a Fortress. Never one to back down from a challenge (especially not when I see an easy way out), here's what I have come up with.

Thunderstomp! proudly presents:

The Thunderstomp insta-Fortress! Ready in under 30 minutes! Just add water! (don't really add water, btw. That'll ruin it, and not in a good way.)



The easiest way to make a Fortress that you can use in a game of Warhammer Siege is to make a 2D Fortress. All you need are top down pics of a wall section, a tower section, and a gate house section, print these out in the quantaties you'll need, stick them on some cardboard (cereal boxes or whathaveyou), and hey presto! you're ready to game.

Of course, finding those pics is probably the key part in that sequence and here's where Thunderstomp! comes is. Remember when I found those cool Rackham Floorplans? The ones they made for their Cadwallon Game? Well, I put those to use.
Basically I located the bits I thought were most useful, scanned parts of them in, and then used my still-not-very-impressive Paint skills to make the needed pics! Of course, I do not own the rights to these pics and do not intend to make any money off them, but I'd thought I'd share them anyway! Who reads this blog anyway? :p

Here they are!

Wall Section


Tower Section

Gatehouse Section

And there you have it! Make these the proper size, print them out, stick them on some card board, and you're ready for a game of Warhammer Siege! Of course, making a proper Fortress will look infinitely better, but at least these will get you started!
I would show you pics of the sections printed out and being used, but I just finished the pics 15 minutes ago, so that'll have to wait!

That's it for this week's edition of Midweek Modelling. Have a good one!